Australia: Immigration Policy Changes for Fall 2024

Key Points 

  • Australia released its 2024-2025 Federal Budget, which featured substantial changes to several of the country’s immigration policies  

Fall 2024 Updates 

The government of Australia also introduced substantial immigration policy changes under its 2024-2025 Federal Budget. These changes will go into effect throughout the fall of 2024. These changes include the following: 

  • Beginning 1 November 2024, a new mobility pathway will be introduced for Indian graduates with 3,000 initial slots. Graduates must be between 18 and 30 and permitted to live and work in Australia for a maximum of two years.  
  • The government will increase the validity period to three to five years for 600 Business Visitor visas held by Indian nationals.  
  • Beginning 23 November 2024, the government will reduce the work experience requirements for applicants under the Temporary Skills Shortage Subclass 482 visa from two years to one year.  
  • A new National Innovation Visa will replace the Global Talent Visa.  
    • The government will close the Business Innovation and Investment visa programs.  
  • The government will decrease the permanent migration program level plan to 185,000 places for 2024-2025, and the government will allocate 132,200 of these slots to Skilled migration.  
    • The government will also decrease net temporary migration levels to 395,000 for 2024-2025.  
  • Beginning in 2024, a ballot process for Work and Holiday visas will be introduced for nationals of China, Vietnam and India.  

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the government of Australia’s website and Envoy Global’s website for the latest updates and information.  

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at Corporate Immigration Partners, P.C., or another qualified professional of your choosing. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult your Envoy representative, or another qualified representative of your choosing.