Ireland: New Stamp 1 Regulations for Spouses and Partners

Key Points  

  • Ireland introduced new regulations for work permissions for spouses and partners of certain work permit holders on 15 May 2024 

New Stamp 1 Permissions for Select Spouses and Partners  

The government of Ireland updated its regulations regarding spouses and partners of certain work permit holders in Ireland on 15 May 2024. Now, eligible spouses and partners of individuals holding a General Employment Permit or Intra-Corporate Transferee Irish Employment Permit can be under Stamp 1G permissions. Previously,  spouses and partners could only register for Stamp 3 permissions. As a result, these applicants will no longer need a separate employment permit.  

Spouses and partners of Critical Skills Employment Permit holders and Researchers on Hosting Agreements, currently with Stamp 3, are now eligible for Stamp 1G. For those with Stamp 3 already in Ireland, their status has been automatically updated to Stamp 1G starting May 15, 2024.  

During the transition until May 15, 2025, they can work using a letter with their Stamp 3 IRP card.  

Eligible spouses and partners must be legally residing in Ireland under the Non-EEA Family Reunification Policy and wish to work. Others, including family members, those with different permissions, or unrelated Stamp 3 holders are not eligible. 

Stamp 1G allows work and study but not business or self-employment. Renewal is yearly, and after five years, different residency options may be considered. 

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the government of Ireland’s website and Envoy Global’s website for the latest updates and information.  

Employers continue to explore and deploy new strategies to access global talent. Explore Envoy Global’s 2024 U.S. Immigration Trends Reports for insights on immigration and global mobility in 2024.  


Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at Corporate Immigration Partners, P.C., or another qualified professional of your choosing. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult your Envoy representative, or another qualified representative of your choosing.