State Department Continues to Allow Entry to the U.S. With an Expired Passport

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

The State Department is extending a temporary measure that allows U.S. citizens to return to the United States even if they have an expired U.S. passport.


Individuals whose passports expired on or after Jan. 1, 2020 may continue to use their expired passport to enter the U.S. through June 30, 2022 with limited exceptions. This authorization, which is granted through the State Department and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), was initially set to expire on March 31, 2022. However, it is now extended through June 2022 to make it easier for U.S. citizens to return to the U.S. in light of travel challenges attributed to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Travelers should note that the extension applies to inbound travel only. Individuals returning to the U.S. may use an expired passport to make a connecting flight in transit to the U.S. or a U.S. territory, but they will not be able to travel from the U.S. to any international destination with an expired passport.

COVID-19 requirements still apply to travelers entering the U.S. All air travelers must show proof of a negative COVID-19 test, with test results obtained no more than 24 hours before departure to the U.S.

Looking Ahead

Returning travelers may renew their passports upon returning to the U.S. Current passport processing times are available on the State Department’s website.


Envoy is pleased to provide you this information, which was prepared in collaboration with Amanda Bolhuis, who is a Partner at Global Immigration Associates (GIA), one of the two independent U.S. law firms Envoy exclusively works with on the Envoy Platform (the "U.S. Law Firms").            

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.