Canada: Humanitarian Pathways for Nationals of Colombia, Haiti and Venezuela

Key Points  

  • Canada introduced a dedicated family-based humanitarian pathway for nationals of Colombia, Haiti and Venezuela 


The government of Canada introduced a dedicated family-based humanitarian pathway for nationals of Colombia, Haiti and Venezuela. The pathway will expand on existing programs, provide a route towards permanent residence and will aim to welcome around 15,000 people. To be eligible to apply, applicants must:  

  • Be a Colombian, Haitian or Venezuelan national 
  • Be located in Mexico, Central or South America, or the Caribbean 
  • Be a spouse, common-law partner, child (regardless of age), grandchild, parent, grandparent or sibling of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is willing and eligible to support your application (an “anchor) for a period of one year.  
  • Plan to live outside of Quebec 
  • Hold a valid passport or eligible travel or identity document 

In addition, the applicant’s immediate family members (dependent child under 22, spouse or common-law partner) may be included in your application. Those coming to Canada through the new humanitarian pathway will receive pre‑arrival services, including an employment skills assessment and a referral to a settlement service provider organization in their community. 

Canada is also already welcoming people from the Americas by 

  • Bringing in an additional 4,000 people through Canada’s existing temporary worker programs, including the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program 
  • Leveraging Canada’s existing refugee labor mobility pathway, the Economic Mobility Pathways Pilot 

Check here for further details on the application process and anchor family member requirements.  

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the government of Canada’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.

Subscribe to Immigration News Alerts from Envoy

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at Corporate Immigration Partners, P.C., or another qualified professional of your choosing. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult your Envoy representative, or another qualified representative of your choosing