Malaysia: Updated Country Risk Levels

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

Key Points  

  • Ten countries added to Malaysia’s high risk country tracker 


On 27 Dec. 2021, the government of Malaysia updated its list of high risk countries related to the COVID-19 pandemic. The list of high-risk countries will now include Australia, the United States, the United Kingdom, Norway, France, Denmark, Canada, Nigeria, India and Saudi Arabia effective 27 Dec. 2021. Travelers arriving from these countries will be required to: 

  • Undergo RT-PCR testing two days prior to departure to Malaysia; 
  • Undergo RT-PCR testing upon arrival;  
  • Be equipped with a digital tracker worn on the wrist;
  • Undergo a quarantine period; 
    • Fully vaccinated travelers must quarantine for seven days; 
    • Unvaccinated travelers must quarantine for 10 days; 
  • Take an additional RT-PCR test; 
    • Fully vaccinated travelers must take the additional test on day five and/or day eight; 
    • Unvaccinated travelers must take the additional test on day seven or day 10; 
  • Undergo a risk assessment on the final day of quarantine 

What are the Changes? 

On 27 Dec. 2021, the government of Malaysia classified ten countries as high-risk countries. Travelers arriving from these countries must undergo additional entrance and quarantine requirements.  

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the government of Malaysia’s website and Envoy’s website for additional updates and information.  

This article was published on 29 Dec. 2021 and may not be the most recent update concerning COVID-19 entrance restrictions, testing requirements and quarantine measures. For the most recent updates be sure to check our Global Mobility Resource Center.

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.