Sales: 312-922-9035
Sales: 312-922-9035

Japan: New Highly Skilled Professional Visa Routes to Launch in April 2023

Key Points 

  • Japan plans to introduce two new highly skilled visa pathways at the start of April 2023 aimed at attracting foreign nationals holding higher education degrees or those with high-income earnings  


The government of Japan announced that it will relax application requirements for select foreign nationals applying for residency in the country and will expand immigration pathways under its skilled visa route to include two new immigration pathways beginning in April 2023. These new pathways will include the following: 

  • The Japan System for Special Highly Skilled Professionals (J-Skip); and  
  • The Japan System for Future Creation Individual Visa (J-Find) 

According to the government announcement, both visa types will target high-income earners or graduates of top foreign universities. Applicants must provide proof of an annual income of at least 120 million yen. They must also either hold a master’s degree or have more than 10 years of work experience.  

Individuals who have graduated from a top university included in the global higher education rankings and are in search of employment opportunities in Japan will qualify for a visa that is valid for a maximum of two years. 

What are the Changes?  

The government of Japan will ease application requirements for certain foreign nationals seeking residency status and introduce two new immigration pathways under the skilled visa route starting in April 2023. The new visa options, the J-Skip and the J-Find, will target high-income earners or graduates from top foreign universities.  

Looking Ahead  

The new immigration pathways are expected to undergo public review over the next several months. Continue to check the government of Japan’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.  

Subscribe to Envoy's Global Blog Digest


Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.