Sales: 312-922-9035
Sales: 312-922-9035

European Union: Single Permit for Third-Country Nationals

Last Updated on April 25, 2023

Key Points  

  • The European Union will simplify and streamline the issuance process for work and residence permits issued to third-country foreign nationals  


The European Parliament introduced draft legislation that will simplify the issuance process of work and residence permits for third-country nationals. The legislation aims to introduce the following changes: 

  • Faster decision times: Decisions on single permit work and residence permits will be set to 90 days. Currently, the decision time varies and can take up to four months. In addition, the time will be shortened to 45 days for applicants who are selected through an EU talent partnership or for those who already hold a single permit issued in another EU country.  
  • Changing employers and expanding permit validity: The committee will aim to expand the validity of the single permit for up to nine months while the permit holder is unemployed.  

What are the Changes?  

The European Parliament proposed draft legislation to simplify the issuance of work and residence permits for third-country nationals. The changes include faster decision times and expanding the permit validity for up to nine months for unemployed permit holders. 

Looking Ahead  

The committee will present the legislation to the Council of the EU during the week of 17 April 2023. 

According to the announcement, EU member states will retain the power to determine the number of third-country nationals permitted to enter their territory for work.  

Continue to check the EU’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.  

Subscribe to Envoy's Global Blog Digest

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.

Skip to content