European Union: Changes to EU Labor Laws for Foreign Nationals 

Key Points  

  • The European Parliament has introduced several proposals that would help to address labor shortages throughout the EU 


The European Parliament plans to revise the rules for foreign nationals to qualify for long-term resident status, which permits foreign nationals from countries outside of the European Union (EU) to stay and work for an indefinite period. These changes include: 

  • Allow foreign nationals to apply for status after a period of three permanent years in the EU. Currently, foreign nationals must legally reside in the region for five years.  
  • Allowing children with parents who hold long-term resident status to acquire the same status automatically, regardless of the place of birth.  

For further information on eligibility for EU long-term resident status, check here.  

The Parliament also intends to introduce measures that would change how qualification requirements are recognized for foreign national workers. If approved, these changes would allow for professional qualifications as well as skills and competencies acquired by a non-EU citizen in another EU country to be recognized in the same way as those of EU citizens. 

What are the Changes?  

The European Parliament has introduced a number of proposals that would help to address labor shortages throughout the EU. According to the Parliament, these measures will reduce illegal migration to the region and help to fill skills gaps in the EU.  

Looking Ahead  

These measures are expected to be introduced over the next few years. Continue to check the EU’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.  

Subscribe to Envoy's Global Blog Digest

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.