Canada: Updates to Distance Learning Measures for International Students

Key Points  

  • Canada extended distance learning measures for international students until 31 August 2023


The government of Canada will extend certain distance learning measures for international students until 31 August 2023; however, some measures will be reduced in scope. As a result, eligible students can complete up to 100% of their program online without affecting any impact to their post-graduation work permit (PGWP) eligibility. 

Eligible applicants include international students studying online from abroad or those who have submitted a study permit application prior to 31 August 2022.  

The government will deduct study time completed aboard from the length of an applicant’s PGWP beginning 1 September 2023, regardless of when the student began their studies. Extending temporary distance learning measures will affect those starting programs from 1 September 2022 to 31 August 2023. Specifically, these measures will apply: 

  • No more than 50% of the credits earned can be completed outside Canada if an applicant wishes to remain eligible for a PGWP. 
  • Studies completed online from outside Canada, starting on 1 September 2023, will be deducted from the length of a future PGWP. 

What are the Changes?  

The government of Canada announced changes to its distance learning measures for PGWP holders. According to the government announcement, these measures aim to encourage students to return to Canada for in-person study.  

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the government of Canada’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.

Subscribe to Immigration News Alerts from Envoy

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at Corporate Immigration Partners, P.C., or another qualified professional of your choosing. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult your Envoy representative, or another qualified representative of your choosing.