Canada: Revised Requirements for International Students

Key Points  

  • Canada will increase the cost-of-living financial requirements for study permit applicants beginning 1 January 2024 


The government of Canada will increase the cost-of-living financial requirements for study permit applicants beginning 1 January 2024. For 2024, a single applicant will need to show they have $20,635, representing 75% of the low-income cut-off (LICO) in addition to their first year of tuition and travel costs. 

The government also introduced the following temporary measures beginning 1 January 2024: 

  • The waiver on the 20-hour-per-week limit on the number of hours international students are allowed to work off campus while class is in session will be extended to 30 April 2024. 
    • International students already in Canada and applicants who have already submitted an application for a study permit as of 7 December 2023, will be able to work off campus more than 20 hours per week until that time. 
  • Extension of measures that allow international students to count time studying online towards the length of a future post-graduate work permit (so long as it constitutes less than 50% of their program of study) will remain in place for all students who begin a study program before 1 September 2024.  
  • Foreign nationals applying for a post-graduation work permit that will expire prior to 31 December 2023 will be eligible to apply for an additional 18-month work permit. 

What are the Changes?  

The government of Canada introduced several changes aimed at better preparing and supporting international students in the country. According to the government, these measures will ensure that international students are financially prepared for life in Canada. 

Looking Ahead  

The government will also begin to adjust the cost-of-living requirement for students yearly. Continue to check the government of Canada’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at Corporate Immigration Partners, P.C., or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult your Envoy representative or another qualified representative of your choosing