Canada: Immigration Funds for Health Care Fields

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

Key Points  

  • Canada’s government will grant funds to organizations with projects aimed at reducing entry and qualification barriers of highly skilled foreign nationals working in healthcare  


The government of Canada will invest in projects that reduce barriers currently preventing qualified and skilled foreign nationals from gaining work experience in their profession or field of study in Canada under the Foreign Credential Recognition Program. Eligible projects will focus on at least one of the following areas: 

  • Improving and simplifying steps in the foreign credentials recognition process and expanding access to practice in the field.  
  • Providing internationally educated health professionals (IEHPs) with Canadian work experience that is relevant to their intended fields of work. 
  • Facilitating labor mobility between jurisdictions in Canada for health care professionals and IEHPs. 

In addition, proposed projects must include at least one of the following measures: 

  • Development, testing and implementation of credential recognition systems. The system must focus on streamlining regulatory processes and harmonizing occupational requirements.  
  • Include additional employment support, such as monitoring the integration of IEPH foreign nationals into the Canadian workforce.  

What are the Changes?  

The government of Canada will accept project proposals aimed at reducing barriers preventing highly skilled healthcare professionals from working in the country. The government will accept project proposals until 30 January 2023.   

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the government of Canada’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.  

Subscribe to Envoy's Global Blog Digest

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.