Austria: Country-Specific Brexit Information

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

UK nationals who have been legally living in Austria before December 31, 2020 when the UK withdraws from the EU may continue to live, study, and work in Austria through rights established through the Withdrawal Agreement. UK nationals who are residents of Austria by the end of the Brexit transition will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, and their rights will be protected if they remain a resident. UK nationals should make sure they are registered as residents.

Individuals who are living in Austria before the Brexit transition ends in December 2020 must register with Austrian authorities to continue living in Austria in 2021. 

Entry and Residency Requirements

Starting on January 1, 2021, individuals can travel for up to 90 days in a 180-day period in the Schengen area without a visa for tourism purposes. Individuals who are traveling for other reasons, including work, study, business travel, or longer stays, must meet Austrian entry requirements.

To continue living legally in Austria in 2021, individuals who are currently in the country must get a residence registration form within three days of moving to their new home. Additionally, they must get a registration certificate within four months of arriving in Austria. UK nationals must apply for an Article 50 residence card to stay in the country. Applications must be submitted in person, although in-person services may be currently limited due to COVID-19. Individuals should check with their local office in advance. Applications must be submitted between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021.

UK nationals must file an application for a new residency permit by December 31, 2021. In-person appointments are required. UK nationals who have five years’ residency on or after December 31, 2020 can apply for a permanent residence permit. Non-EU family members of UK nationals who were residents before the Brexit transition can apply for a national residency permit through December 31, 2021.

Applicants can demonstrate their residency before December 31, 2020 with their EU residence registration. When filing for a new residency permit, applicants may also need to submit certificates of employment, proof of sufficient finances, and adequate health insurance.

Individuals who have been living in Austria for more than five years consecutively have a 10-year validity on their Article 50 card. A long-term residence certificate for EU/EEA nationals can be exchanged for an Article 50 card at no cost. Individuals who have permanent residency rights in Austria but don’t have a long-term residence certificate or the equivalent prior to 2006 may need to furnish documentation to provide proof of living in Austria. Individuals who have lived in Austria for less than five years may receive an Article 50 residence card with a five-year validity. They must provide proof of comprehensive health insurance and evidence of their personal situation that requires residency, such as work, education, or family ties. UK nationals can apply for permanent residency after five years when their residency permit expires.

UK nationals are subject to certain requirements for stays over three months, including financial requirements. UK nationals who have lived in Austria prior to January 1, 2006 can use their original residence registration form as their registration certificate.

Starting in January 2021, UK nationals are subject to the residency application process of third-country nationals, which includes individuals who are not Swiss, EU, or EEA nationals. A residence permit is required for third-country nationals who want to stay in the country for more than six months, unless they have residency rights according to Union law. Residence permits are issued for specific purposes. Multiple applications cannot be submitted at once.

Travel is permitted in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in a 180-day period without a visa to visit family or friends; attend business meetings, sports events, or cultural events; for tourism, and for short-term study or training.

Travelers should note that visits to other Schengen countries within the previous 180 days also count towards the 90-day maximum stay. Any days spent in Austria before January 1, 2021 will not count towards the 90-day limit.

Working in Austria

UK nationals who are registered as residents in Austria have the right to continue working in Austria following the Brexit transition if they remain residents in Austria.

Certain documents may be required to apply for a job, including:

  • UK police certificate
  • Austrian criminal records certificate

Posted workers with EU registration can obtain an Article 50 permit if they have an “Anmeldebescheinigung” yellow paper, intend to stay in Austria for six months or more, have sufficient financial coverage, and have health insurance coverage. EU posted workers should change their status before June 30, 2021. EU cross-border and posted workers who were working in Austria before the Brexit transition but don’t meet the qualifications for an Article 50 permit can continue working in the country until their assignment ends. They must obtain work authorization as non-EU nationals to continue working in the country in 2021.  

An application fee of EUR 61.50 applies to most applicants, except for permanent residents who are seeking a 10-year Article 50 residency permit.


A valid passport and valid residence permit are required to enter or exit the country. Passports must have at least a six-month validity, except for individuals transiting Austria or who fall within the scope of the Withdrawal Agreement. Individuals must renew their passport prior to traveling if they have less than six months remaining on their passport. Additional months cannot be added to the passport’s validity using passports that are more than 10 years old.