USCIS will Accept SSN Requests with Green Card Applications

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has announced that individuals who are seeking permanent resident status can apply for a Social Security number (SSN) or a Social Security replacement card when they apply for a green card.  


Effective immediately, individuals can now apply for a new SSN or a replacement card as part of their green card application. Previously, they had to apply for an SSN or replacement card in person at a Social Security office.  

USCIS has updated Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Resident or Adjust Status with additional questions needed to receive a new SSN or a replacement card.  

Looking Ahead  

The Social Security Administration will automatically assign individuals an SSN. They do not need to take any additional action. 


Envoy is pleased to provide you this information, which was prepared in collaboration with Ian Love, who is a Partner at Global Immigration Associates, P.C. (, Envoy’s affiliated law firm. 

Content in this publication is not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an Envoy-affiliated attorney or another qualified professional.