TN Visas Survive New USMCA

Last Updated on February 15, 2024

What is the USMCA: How is it Connected to the TN Visa?

Late Sept. 30, 2018, the United States, Mexico, and Canada agreed to a new trade deal between the three countries. The new deal, the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) would, if approved by all three countries, replace the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

While the trade deal may be changing, the provisions that provide for the temporary entry of professionals to work in the U.S., currently known as the TN (Trade NAFTA) visa category, will remain the same as they were in NAFTA.

In the months prior to the new trade deal, there was uncertainty regarding whether provisions allowing for the continuation of the TN visa would be included in any new trade deal between the three North American countries. Originally, the Trump administration indicated interest in placing limits on TN visas, while Mexico and Canada indicated interest in revising some of the professional worker categories to be updated to reflect current employment practices, as the categories had not been revised since NAFTA was enacted in the early 1990s. With the USCMA, the three countries kept the status quo, neither agreeing to any new limits, nor expanding or revising the approved TN professional worker categories.

Envoy continues to monitor developments regarding the TN visa and the new USMCA trade agreement, as the agreement moves through the approval process in Congress.

To view the official text regarding the TN visa, please click here.

What is the TN Visa?

The TN visa classification is for Canadian and Mexican citizens. The visa was created under NAFTA to provide temporary entry to foreign nationals in specific occupations.  Obtaining a TN visa is generally expeditious. Canadian citizens can apply for admission in TN status directly at a US port of entry. Mexican citizens can apply directly at a US embassy or consulate without first obtaining petition approval by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

The TN is available for professionals in one of the following fields:

  • Accountant
  • Engineer
  • Scientist
  • Medical/Healthcare Professional
  • Architect
  • Lawyer
  • Teacher
  • Economist
  • Social Worker
  • Mathematician
  • Psychologist
  • Computer Systems Analyst
  • Industrial Designer
  • And more

Click here to learn more about the TN visa.

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at Corporate Immigration Partners, P.C., or another qualified professional of your choosing. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult your Envoy representative, or another qualified representative of your choosing.