State Department Issues Guidance for U.S. Citizens Leaving Sudan

Due to deteriorating conditions in Sudan, the State Department has issued new information for U.S. citizens who are leaving the country.  


In April 2023, the State Department closed the U.S. Embassy in Khartoum until further notice. Routine consular services, along with passport and visa assistance, are not currently available. However, the State Department is providing guidance for U.S. citizens who are still in the country and wish to leave. The State Department’s website has country-specific details for U.S. citizens who are traveling across land borders from Sudan to the neighboring countries of Chad, Egypt, Ethiopia, Eritrea, the Central African Republic and South Sudan. The requirements for crossing borders vary by country, so U.S. citizens should look at country-specific instructions on the State Department’s website before exiting Sudan.  

Along with land border crossings, the State Department is helping U.S. citizens leave Sudan by ferry. Organized convoys are available to bring individuals from Khartoum to Port Sudan, and commercial boats may be able to bring U.S. citizens from Sudan to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. U.S. consular officers are available to assist U.S. citizens when they arrive in Jeddah.  

Looking Ahead  

Prior to leaving the country, U.S. citizens should monitor local Sudanese news for updates and consult the State Department’s website for the latest security alerts and travel advisories for Sudan.  

Envoy is pleased to provide you this information, which was prepared in collaboration with Suann Kessler and Vicky Yu, who are Attorneys at Corporate Immigration Partners (CIP), one of the two independent U.S. law firms Envoy exclusively works with on the Envoy Platform (the “U.S. Law Firms”).     

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.