Canada: Youth Mobility Agreement with Finland 

Key Points  

  • Canada and Finland launched a new youth mobility immigration agreement on 19 May 2023 


The government of Canada introduced a new Youth Mobility agreement with Finland on 19 May 2023. The terms of this agreement will become effective in early 2024. Under the agreement, Canadian and Finnish youth aged 18 to 35 can live, work and travel in each other’s country under the International Experience Canada (IEC) or the Finnish equivalent immigration pathway.  

Additionally, youth can participate in the program for up to 12 months per category under the following pathways:

  • The Working Holiday program: Allows participants to receive an open work permit that will enable them to work anywhere in the host country to support their travel; 
  • The International Co-op (Internship) program: Allows participants to receive an employer-specific work permit that will enable students to gain targeted experience in a chosen field of study; and 
  • The Young Professional program: Allows participants to receive an employer-specific work permit to gain targeted, professional work experience within a specific field of study or career path.  

What are the Changes?  

The government of Canada launched a Youth Mobility Agreement with Finland. This agreement will allow Canadian and Finnish youth to gain work and travel experience. In addition to this agreement, Canada has established formal youth mobility agreements with 36 countries and territories.   

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the Government of Canada’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information. 

Subscribe to Immigration News Alerts from Envoy

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.