- Canada launched a new process for inviting foreign nationals to apply for permanent residency under the Express Entry system
The government of Canada launched a new process for inviting foreign nationals to apply for permanent residency under the Express Entry system. As a result, the government will select additional prospective applicants with specific skills, training or language abilities that can benefit the Canadian economy. This year, category-based selection invitations will focus on candidates holding the following skills:
- Strong French language proficiency or
- Work experience in the following fields:
- Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) professions;
- Trades, such as carpenters, plumbers and contractors;
- Transport; and
- Agriculture and agri-food.
What are the Changes?
The Canadian government adjusted how applicants are selected for permanent residency under the Express Entry system. According to the government, a category-based selection process under Express Entry will allow Canada to adjust its immigration system to the country’s specific needs and expand labor options for foreign nationals. The government will send the first category-based invitations this summer.
Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.