U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) implemented an additional step to the green card process. Beginning with the November 2015 Visa Bulletin, if there are more immigrant visas available for the fiscal year than known applicants, USCIS will issue an update. It will inform applicants that they may use the Dates for Filing Visa Applications chart to ascertain if they may file Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status). This determination will be published one week after the Department of State (DOS) releases the Visa Bulletin.
What you need to know:
- If the Dates for Filing Visa Applications chart states your foreign national’s priority date is “current,” you must wait one week to learn whether that date still applies. USCIS will publish its findings around the 17th or 18th of each month at: uscis.gov/visabulletininfo.
- Unless it’s stated otherwise, the Application Final Action Date chart will be used to determine whether individuals may file Form I-485.
- For November 2015, USCIS has determined the Dates for Filing Visa Applications chart may be used.
- If you’re sponsoring a foreign national for green card, consult your attorney about whether you’re able to file Form I-485.
- If you’d like to open a new green card application with Envoy, contact one of our immigration representatives.