- The United Kingdom published timelines for the implementation of several immigration law changes for 2024
The government of the United Kingdom released the timeline and dates for several immigration law changes that will take effect throughout 2024. These dates are as follows:
- 11 March 2024: The government will ban newly arrived care workers from bringing immediate family members to the country under dependent visas.
- 4 April 2024: The skilled worker minimum salary increase will take effect.
- April 2024 (likely 4 April 2024): Initial changes to the shortage occupation list (SOL) will take effect.
- This includes the government renaming SOL to the Immigration Salary Discount List (ISDL) to reflect its function in the immigration system.
- 11 April 2024: Increasing the spouse/partner visa minimum income requirement to £29,000.
- In late 2024, the government is expected to increase this rate to around £34,500 and to around £38,700 in early 2025.
As a result, the government also estimates that because of increases to the minimum salary threshold, the amount of savings required for a foreign national to reside in the country will also increase. Estimates range from a maximum savings requirement of £62,500 to £88,500.
The government is expected to review the graduate visa route in the coming months to identify any necessary changes needed for the pathway.
Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at Corporate Immigration Partners, P.C., or another qualified professional of your choosing. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult your Envoy representative, or another qualified representative of your choosing.
OISC registration number F202000157