The Republic of Korea: Updated COVID-19 Pre-Arrival and Post-Arrival Requirements

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

Key Points  

  • New COVID-19 pre- and post-arrival requirements for travelers 


The Republic of Korea announced that travelers entering the country will have to undergo a PCR test taken within 48 hours of departure or a supervised rapid antigen test (RAT) within 24 hours of departure beginning 23 May 2022.  

Beginning 1 June 2022, the government will relax post-arrival testing requirements so that travelers will be required to undergo PCR testing within three days post-arrival and a RAT within six to seven days post-arrival.  

Travelers entering the Republic of Korea with symptoms of COVID-19 will be required to undergo a seven-day quarantine period and additional testing requirements. For further information, check here.  

What are the Changes?  

The Republic of Korea updated its pre-arrival testing requirements to include the option of undergoing a rapid antigen test as of 23 May 2022. Until 1 June 2022, all travelers are required to undergo PCR or RAT testing upon arrival. After 1 June 2022, travelers will have additional time to undergo testing after arriving in the Republic of Korea.  

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the Republic of Korea’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.  

For more news and insights from around the world, please sign up for Envoy’s Global Blog Digest, emailed to you every Wednesday morning. 

This article was published on 26 May 2022 and may not be the most recent update concerning COVID-19 entrance restrictions, testing requirements and quarantine measurers. For the most recent updates be sure to check our Global Mobility Resource Center.

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.