South Korea: Updated K-ETA Requirements

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

Key Points  

  • The government of South Korea lifted K-ETA requirements for travelers who require a visa to enter the country 
  • The government of South Korea expanded the requirement for K-ETA entry permissions to include Jeju Island 


The government of South Korea announced that all visa-exempt travelers entering South Korea, including from Jeju Island, will be required to apply for Electronic Travel Authorization (K-ETA) prior to boarding a flight for the country effective 1 September 2022.  

Travelers can apply online through the K-ETA website or through the mobile app. These travelers will be exempt from the requirement to submit an Arrival Card beginning 1 September 2022. The Arrival Card contains information on the traveler and the purpose of their visit to South Korea.  

The government also announced it will lift the requirement for visa required nationals to apply for K-ETA approval in addition to a visa.  

What are the Changes?  

According to the announcement, the government of South Korea introduced K-ETA requirements for travelers entering via Jeju Island to prevent travelers from using the island as an entry point into the country when K-ETA approval is denied.   

Looking Ahead 

Continue to check the government of South Korea’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.  

For more news and insights from around the world, please sign up for Envoy’s Global Blog Digest, emailed to you every Wednesday morning. 

This article was published on 30 August 2022 and may not be the most recent update concerning COVID-19 entrance restrictions, testing requirements and quarantine measurers. For the most recent updates be sure to check our Global Mobility Resource Center.

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.