South Korea: Re-Entry Permit Exemption Reimplemented

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

Key Points  

  • Reduced exit measures for long-term visa holders from South Korea as of 1 April 2022 


The government of South Korea announced that long-term visa holders who have completed their alien registration process and permanent residents will not need to apply for a re-entry permit to enter South Korea beginning 1 April 2022. The following groups of foreign nationals will not be required to apply for a re-entry permit: 

  • Permanent resident (F-5); 
  • Overseas South Korean citizens (F-4); 
  • Holders of refugee travel documents; and  
  • Travelers from exempt countries (D-7, D-8, & D-9). 

Currently, nationals of the Republic of Suriname, the Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, Sweden, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, France, Finland and Chile are exempt from requiring a re-entry permit.  

What are the Changes?  

The government of South Korea will no longer require certain long-term visa holders and permanent residents to apply for a re-entry permit prior to leaving the country. This change will allow for a relaxation in exit measures for travelers leaving South Korea who plan to return at a future date.  

Looking Ahead 

Continue to check the government of South Korea’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.  

For more news and insights from around the world, please sign up for Envoy’s Global Blog Digest, emailed to you every Wednesday morning. 

This article was published on 6 April 2022 and may not be the most recent update concerning COVID-19 entrance restrictions, testing requirements and quarantine measurers. For the most recent updates be sure to check our Global Mobility Resource Center.

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.