Portugal: Increased Efforts to Attract Global Talent

Key Points  

  • Portugal will introduce new immigration regulations to further attract global talent 


The government of Portugal will introduce new immigration regulations to further attract global talent. These changes include: 

  • Work Visa Requirement: To regularize their status, immigrants must apply for a specific work visa at Portuguese consulates. This change, effective since 2017, ends the practice of regularizing status after entering the country. 
  • CPLP Residence Permits: Brazilian citizens and those from other Community of Portuguese Language Countries (CPLP) can apply for a CPLP Residence Permit, giving them an advantage over other nationalities, who must apply for a visa before entering Portugal. 
    • CPLP Permit Extensions: Existing CPLP permits will be renewed for one year by 30 June 2024. Citizens will be called to provide biometric data and receive a standard residence permit to circulate within the Schengen Area and access family reunification. 
  • Support and Staffing: 45 new staff members will be assigned to consulates and embassies, prioritizing Brazil and CPLP countries. India will also receive additional support. 
    • Task Force for Pending Cases: A task force will address the 400,000-case backlog at the Agency for Integration, Migration, and Asylum (AIMA), with plans for partnerships and additional hires. 
  • Family Reunification: The age limit for minors eligible for family reunification will be extended to 18 years, with the exact start date to be announced. 

These changes are being implemented through a decree-law sent for approval today and are aimed at streamlining immigration processes and supporting integration. 

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the government of Portugal’s website and Envoy Global’s website for the latest updates and information. 


Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at Corporate Immigration Partners, P.C., or another qualified professional of your choosing. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult your Envoy representative, or another qualified representative of your choosing.