Updated: Latvia State of Emergency Extended

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

This article was originally published on 13 Jan 2022 and was updated on 24 March 2022 to reflect new information.  


24 March 2022 Update: The government of Latvia announced that travelers arriving from the European Union, European Economic Area, and the United Kingdom will not be required to present a COVID-19 vaccination certificate or proof of a negative COVID-19 test beginning 1 April 2022.  

Key Points 

  • Entrance requirements will remain in place until 28 Feb. 2022 
  • Reduced validity period for the COVID-19 vaccination certificate 


The government of Latvia will extend a state of emergency until 28 Feb. 2022, maintaining existing COVID-19 safety measures. All travelers entering Latvia must fill out an electronic form on the Covidpass.lv website no earlier than 48 hours before arrival and provide information concerning testing requirements, vaccination status or proof of recovery from COVID-19. Restrictions will vary depending on the vaccination status of the traveler and the country from which they are departing. For additional information based on country risk status, click here.  

The government of Latvia will also reduce the validity of the COVID-19 vaccination certificates to nine months beginning 15 Feb. 2022, in order to align its policies with the EU Commission's decision made on 22 Dec. 2021. For a list of approved vaccines in Latvia, click here.  

What are the Changes? 

The government of Latvia has extended a state of emergency until 28 Feb. 2022. In addition, the accepted period of validity for use of an approved COVID-19 vaccination certificate will be reduced from 12 months to nine months.  

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the government of Latvia’s website and Envoy’s website for additional updates and information.  

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.