[Updated] Japan: COVID-19 Measures for Travelers from China

Last Updated on March 6, 2023

This article was originally published on 28 December 2023 and was updated on 28 February 2023 to reflect new information.  

28 February 2023 Update: The government of Japan will require all travelers departing directly from mainland China (excluding Hong Kong and Macau) to obtain a pre-departure COVID-19 test certificate beginning 1 March 2023. To acquire a pre-departure test certificate, check here. 

Travelers from China will be subject to randomized testing upon arrival at the airport in Japan.  

Key Points

  • Japan will introduce additional COVID-19 testing measures for travelers entering the country beginning 30 December 2022


The government of Japan announced that all travelers departing from China (except Hong Kong and Macau) or who have traveled through the country in the last seven days will be required to undergo an on-arrival COVID-19 test effective 30 December 2022.

In addition, travelers arriving or who have traveled through China in the last seven days who cannot provide proof of vaccination will be required to undergo pre-departure COVID-19 testing.

All travelers are advised to pre-register all information required under the country’s quarantine procedures.

What are the Changes?

The government of Japan introduced additional testing measures for travelers departing from China or travelers who have been in China within the last seven days. According to the government, these measures are being taken to reduce the transmission of COVID-19 variants.

Looking Ahead

Continue to check the government of Japan’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.

Subscribe to Envoy's Global Blog Digest hbspt.cta.load(1747118, ‘8e165125-f950-42cf-94bb-4034e547a955’, {“useNewLoader”:”true”,”region”:”na1″});

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.