Italy: Digital Nomad Visa Introduced

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

Key Points  

  • Remote work visa introduced for foreign nationals from countries outside of the European Union 


The government of Italy introduced a remote work visa on 29 March 2022 for foreign nationals from countries outside of the European Union (EU). Applicants who qualify will not be required to obtain Nulla Osta work authorization prior to entering the country. Instead, eligible applicants will be required to apply for an entry visa that will be valid for a period of 365 days. After arrival, the applicant will need to apply for the digital nomad visa, which will be valid for one year. 

According to the conditions of this visa, the foreign national must be considered a highly qualified worker and be employed by a company based outside of Italy with no representative offices in the country or be self-employed.  

What are the Changes? 

On 29 March 2022, the government of Italy announced a new remote work visa option for self-employed foreign nationals or those currently working for a company based outside of Italy. Applicants will need to meet the conditions of this visa type along with any other immigration requirements, including possessing valid health insurance and meeting any financial requirements.  

Looking Ahead  

The government is expected to release further information in the coming weeks, including a definition of a highly qualified worker. Continue to check the government of Italy’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.  

For more news and insights from around the world, please sign up for Envoy’s Global Blog Digest, emailed to you every Wednesday morning. 

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.