Italy: Country-Specific Brexit Information

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

UK nationals who have been legally living in Italy before December 31, 2020 when the UK withdraws from the EU may continue to live, study, and work in Italy through rights established through the Withdrawal Agreement. UK nationals who are residents of Italy by the end of the Brexit transition will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, and their rights will be protected if they remain a resident. UK nationals should make sure they are registered as residents.

Entry and Residency Requirements

UK nationals will be able to stay in Italy if they were residents before December 31, 2020.

UK nationals who want to stay in Italy for more than three months must register as an Italian citizen. Residency can be obtained by getting an attestazione di regolarità di soggiorno or an an attestazione di iscrizione anagrafica or attestazione di soggiorno permanente (for UK nationals who have been residents for five years or more). Both residency documents can be obtained from the local town hall or commune.

Individuals who have already registered as an Italian resident and have a valid residency document should obtain a new attestazione from the local commune to prove residency rights under the Withdrawal Agreement. All non-EU family members should also obtain a new attestazione.

Starting on January 1, 2021, travel is permitted in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in a 180-day period without a visa to visit family or friends; attend business meetings, sports events, or cultural events; for tourism, and for short-term study or training. Travelers should note that visits to other Schengen countries within the previous 180 days also count towards the 90-day maximum stay. Any days spent in Italy before January 1, 2021 will not count towards the 90-day limit.

Working in Italy

UK nationals who were registered residents in Italy by December 31, 2020 can continue to work in the country if they remain residents.

To apply for a job, UK nationals may require the following documents:

  • UK criminal records certificate
  • Italian criminal records certificate

The Italian criminal records certificate is issued by the Italian Law Court.

Individuals who live in Italy and commute to work in another EU/EFTA country may need a permit proving that they are a frontier worker starting in January 2021. The Home Office will provide further details when guidance is available.


A valid passport is required to enter the country through December 2020. Starting on January 1, 2021, passports must have at least a six-month validity, except for individuals transiting Italy or who fall within the scope of the Withdrawal Agreement. Individuals must renew their passport prior to traveling if they have less than six months remaining on their passport. Additional months from passports that are more than 10 years old cannot be added to the validity period.