India: eVisa Services Restored for the United Kingdom and Canada

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

This article was originally published on 9 December 2022 and was updated on 22 December 2022 to reflect the latest information. 

22 December 2022 Update: The government of India has restored eVisa service for Canadian nationals seeking entry into the country. eVisas can be granted for specific short-term activities, including approved business purposes.  

Key Points  

  • India has restored eVisa options for eligible foreign nationals seeking entry into the country for specific short-term activities, including certain business purposes   


The government of India High Commission office in London announced that e-Visa measures will be restored for nationals of the United Kingdom traveling to India. eVisa permissions have also been restored to 163 other countries and jurisdictions since the start of the pandemic.   

To apply for an eVisa, eligible foreign nationals must upload a photo and passport image, all required identification information and complete all payment requirements. 

Approved travelers will then receive an electronic travel authorization (ETA) form via email. Travelers will be required to print the ETA form and present it at Immigration Check Posts in India, where the eVisa will be stamped on the passport.  

What are the Changes?  

The government of India announced that it will restore eVisa services to nationals of the United Kingdom and 163 other countries and jurisdictions. The government had temporarily suspended the program due to the COVID-19 pandemic.  

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the government of India’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.  

Subscribe to Envoy's Global Blog Digest


Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.