Germany: Changes for EU Blue Card Eligibility

Key Points  

  • Germany expanded eligibility for its EU Blue Card visa category and introduced new salary requirements  


The government of Germany expanded eligibility for its EU Blue Card category to include foreign nationals working in the following occupations: 

  • Professionals working in healthcare, recent graduates and information technology professionals. 

The government also introduced adjusted salary thresholds for EU Blue Card holders on 1 November 2023. These rates are set to the following: 

  • Bottleneck professionals, new applicants and IT specialists: €39,683 
  • All other categories: €43,800 

The following changes will also be introduced: 

  • Family members of EU Blue Card holders who have previously resided in another EU member state will benefit from eased reunification requirements, including reduced requirements for presenting proof of sufficient living space and income.  
  • Faster settlement permissions: EU Blue Card holders will be granted a settlement period after a period of 33 months as long as they have been employed in a highly qualified role, paid contributions into a pension fund throughout this time and hold a basic understanding of German. 
    • The qualification period is shortened to 21 months for persons with an adequate knowledge of German (level B1). 

What are the Changes? 

The government of Germany introduced changes to its EU Blue Card policy, including reducing salary requirements and expanding the number of occupations eligible for this work permission category. According to the government announcement, this will help to fill labor shortages throughout the country.  

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the government of Germany’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information. 

Subscribe to Immigration News Alerts from Envoy

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at Corporate Immigration Partners, P.C., or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult your Envoy representative or another qualified representative of your choosing