Germany: Approval of the New Skilled Labor Worker Law

Key Points  

  • The German Parliament officially approved reform efforts to the Skilled Labor Worker Law with the aim of attracting more skilled workers to the country  


The government of Germany approved reform efforts to the Skilled Labor Worker law on 23 June 2023. Some of the measures under the new law include: 

  • Introducing a points-based Opportunity Card known as the Chancenkarte.  
  • The intention of the card is for non-EU nationals who enter Germany as jobseekers. Eligible applicants must provide be able to financially support themselves throughout their time in Germany while they look for work and has a validity period of one year.  
  • Alternatively, the card will be available to certain foreign nationals seeking to switch jobs and engage in temporary or part-term employment while continuing to seek other long-term opportunities.  
  • Spouses of third-country nationals holding national visas and residence permits for employment purposes will benefit from reduced language assessment requirements. 

The government will publish further information in the coming months.

What are the Changes?  

The German parliament officially approved a new Skilled Immigration Act that aims to attract more highly skilled foreign nationals from countries located outside of the European Union (EU). Draft legislation was originally introduced in early 2023 and has undergone several rounds of review.  

Looking Ahead  

The new law will to enter into force in the coming months of 2023. Continue to check the government of Germany’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.

Subscribe to Envoy's Global Blog Digest

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.