France: Immigration Law Changes for 2024

Key Points  

  • France introduced changes to its work permit, residency permit and general immigration law on 27 January 2024  


The French government introduced a new immigration law on 27 January 2024. Under the new law, the following changes have taken effect: 

  • Health Care Visa: Introducing a new health care residency visa category.  
  • Language Requirements: Introducing language test requirements for foreign nationals holding certain temporary visa category types.  
  • Longer Welfare Waiting Period: Non-European Union (EU) citizens in France must reside for 30 months (employed) or five years (unemployed) before accessing welfare benefits. 
  • State Medical Care Review: Legislation granting unlimited medical care to illegal residents is under review throughout 2024. 
  • Residency for Labour Shortages: Non-EU workers in industries facing shortages can apply for residency and work permits after three years’ residency and 12 months’ work in the past two years.  
  • Tighter Family Reunification: Residents must wait 24 months, show stable income, and have health insurance before applying for family reunification. The minimum age of the spouse is raised to 21. 
  • Foreign Students Deposit: Student residency permit applicants must make a refundable deposit for repatriation costs, with exceptions for needy or exceptional students. 
  • Non-Automatic Birthright Citizenship: Children born to foreign parents in France must apply for citizenship between the ages 16 and 18. 
  • Nationality Withdrawal: Dual-national individuals convicted of voluntary homicide against officials can lose French nationality. 

Additional information on changes to the immigration law can be found in the French Journal.  

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the government of France’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.  

Subscribe to Envoy's Global Blog Digest

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at Corporate Immigration Partners, P.C., or another qualified professional of your choosing. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult your Envoy representative, or another qualified representative of your choosing.