Last Updated on February 23, 2023
The Withdrawal Agreement protects any U.K. nationals who were legally a resident in an EU member state before January 1, 2021. The agreement aims to protect U.K. citizens’ rights to work, study and accessing of public services and benefits just as they were prior to new regulations since the U.K. left the EU. Each member state requires that U.K. nationals submit an application for residence prior to the end of a designated transition period.
- The June 30, 2021, deadline applies to U.K. nationals who were already residents in the following EU Member states prior to January 1, 2021: Croatia, France, Germany, Greece, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, and Slovakia.
- There are different requirements for each EU member state when applying for residence status.
- Family members and partners are eligible to apply for residence in the EU member state. This includes spouses, registered partners, durable partners, dependent children, dependent grandchildren, dependent parents and grandparents. Any relationships with partners must have begun prior to Dec. 31, 2020.
- Healthcare requirements are also determined in the Withdrawal Agreement, but the process varies depending on each country.
- Residence rights included in the Withdrawal Agreement applies to UK nationals who are working, studying, or those who have sufficient resources and proof of health insurance. This can also apply to family members of a person who meets these requirements.
- The right of residence for U.K. Citizens only applies to the country of residence that they have been residing in.
For U.K. nationals seeking residence in an EU country, deadlines are approaching to obtain the required immigration status. The application process varies depending on the EU Member State and conditions to be met may be different.
Content in this publication is not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an Envoy-affiliated attorney or another qualified professional.