Estonia: Visa Restrictions Placed on Russian Nationals 

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

Key Points

  • Estonia will introduce visa issuance restrictions for Russian citizens on 18 August 2022  


The government of Estonia will introduce restrictions to the issuances of visas to Russian citizens beginning 18 August 2022. In addition, the government will introduce stricter entrance measures for Russian citizens currently holding Schengen visas issued in Estonia.  

Russian citizens who currently hold valid long-term residence permits for Estonia will be permitted to enter the country to visit family members, for diplomatic services, or if they are employed in the field of international goods and passenger transit.    

Russian citizens currently holding student residence permits in Estonia who are due to complete their studies at an Estonian institution of higher education will have their permits extended for one additional year. According to the government, this measure will be introduced in order to ensure the safety of Russian students in Estonia.   

What are the Changes?  

Effective 18 August 2022, the government of Estonia will impose restrictions on the issuances of visas to Russian citizens. According to the government, these measures will be made in an effort to prevent large numbers of Russian citizens from entering or passing through Estonia into other parts of Europe.  

Looking Ahead 

Continue to check the government of Estonia’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information. For additional information on the crisis in Ukraine and restrictions on Russian nationals, check here.  

For more news and insights from around the world, please sign up for Envoy’s Global Blog Digest, emailed to you every Wednesday morning. 

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.