Colombia: New Andean Migrant Visa and Resident Visa

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

Key Points 

  • Two new visa categories have been created for eligible citizens from the countries of Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru  


The government of Colombia created the Andean Migrant Visa and the Andean Resident Visa. Citizens entering from Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru will be eligible for these visa types if the following documents can be provided: 

Andean Migrant Visa  

  • A valid passport with a minimum validity of six months;  
  • A certificate of police and judicial or criminal records from the country of nationality or from the country in which they have lived for the past five years; or  
    • A certificate indicating that no police and judicial or criminal records exist; 
  • A letter in which the applicant states the purpose of establishing their temporary residence in Colombia 

Andean Resident Visa  

  • Hold a valid passport valid for at least six months; 
  • Has held an M Migrante Andino visa for two years and submitted an R visa application within 90 days prior to the expiration of the M Migrante Adino visa; 
  • Certificate of Migratory Movements issued by the Special Administrative Unit for Colombia Migration;  
  • A Copy of the Immigration Certificate; 
  • Proof of sufficient income that allows the subsistence of the petitioning Andean national and members of his family group in Colombia  

What are the Changes?  

The government of Colombia has created two new visa categories called the Andean Migrant Visa and the Andean Resident Visa. These visa categories will be open to eligible applicants from the countries of Bolivia, Ecuador or Peru.  

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the government of Colombia’s website and Envoy’s website for additional updates and information.  

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.