China: Reduced Visa Application Requirements for Select Travelers

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

Key Points   

  • The government of China reduced visa application requirements for applicants of a Z visa and S1 or S2 visas 


The government of China will no longer require select foreign nationals seeking to enter the country for work purposes or to visit family to apply for an invitation letter, known as a PU letter. These measures will apply to foreign nationals who have obtained work authorization in China through a Z visa application and hold a valid Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit, as well as to dependent spouses and children (S1 or S2 visa applicants) under the age of 18.   

Business visa applicants will still be required to obtain a PU letter prior to submitting their application to the immigration officials. PU letters are issued by the province in which the foreign national will be employed.  

What are the Changes?   

The government of China will no longer require applicants for the Z visa and S1/S2 dependent visas to obtain a PU invitation letter. Business visa applicants will still be required to obtain a PU letter. All travelers entering China will still be required to meet all COVID-19 pre- and post-arrival requirements.  

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the government of China’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.   

For more news and insights from around the world, please sign up for Envoy’s Global Blog Digest, emailed to you every Wednesday morning. 

This article was published on 8 June 2022 and may not be the most recent update concerning COVID-19 entrance restrictions, testing requirements and quarantine measurers. For the most recent updates be sure to check our Global Mobility Resource Center.

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.