Canada: Visitors Permitted to Remain In-Country When Applying for Work Authorization 

Last Updated on March 19, 2023

Key Points  

  • Canada will extend a COVID-19-era policy in order to allow visitors with valid work offers to apply for work authorization without having to exit the country 


The government of Canada extended its COVID-19 work permit temporary visitor policy until 28 February 2025. As a result, foreign nationals who are currently in Canada as visitors who receive a valid job offer will be able to remain in the country throughout the work permit application process.  

In addition, foreign nationals who have held a work permit within the past 12 months will also have the option to request interim work authorization, which will allow the individual to start working for their new employer sooner. To be eligible to apply, an applicant looking to benefit from this temporary public policy must:

  • Maintain a valid status in Canada as a visitor on the day they apply; 
  • Receive a job offer that is supported by a labor market impact assessment (LMIA) or an LMIA-exempt offer of employment; 
  • Have submitted an application for an employer-specific work permit no later than 28 February 2025; 
  • Meet all other standard admissibility criteria. 

For additional information on the application process for temporary work authorization, check here. 

What are the Changes?  

The government of Canada will extend a COVID-19-era policy that allows foreign nationals to remain in the country while applying for work authorization. Previously, applicants were required to exit the country during the application process.  

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the government of Canada’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information. 

Subscribe to Envoy's Global Blog Digest

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative