Canada: New Option to Complete Customs and Immigration Declaration Prior to Entry

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

Key Points  

  • The government of Canada introduced measures for travelers to submit customs and immigration declarations prior to entry into Canada 


The government of Canada will allow travelers to submit customs and immigration declarations up to 72 hours prior to arrival in Canada. This information can be provided through the ArriveCAN application and will be available first for travelers arriving at the following airports: 

  • Toronto Pearson 
  • Montreal-Trudeau 
  • Vancouver 

What are the Changes?  

On 3 August 2022, the government of Canada announced measures to allow travelers to submit customs and immigration declarations prior to arrival in Canada. According to the government, this change will reduce entrance delays and wait-times for travelers.  

Looking Ahead 

According to the announcement, the government will expand this option to travelers arriving at all other international airports soon. This measure serves as a step in the government’s Travel Modernization Initiative, which includes introducing digital technologies and tools for both travelers and border service officers. Continue to check the government of Canada’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.  

For more news and insights from around the world, please sign up for Envoy’s Global Blog Digest, emailed to you every Wednesday morning. 

This article was published on 8 August 2022 and may not be the most recent update concerning COVID-19 entrance restrictions, testing requirements and quarantine measurers. For the most recent updates be sure to check our Global Mobility Resource Center.

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.