Canada: Assistance for Sudanese Nationals  

Key Points  

  • Canada will provide assistance to Sudanese nationals impacted by the crisis in Sudan  


 The government of Canada introduced measures to assist Sudanese nationals currently located in Sudan. These measures include the following:  


  • As of 30 April 2023, Sudanese nationals in Canada are permitted to apply for an extension of stay or change their status to visitor, student, or temporary worker free of charge.   
  • Sudanese nationals in Canada will be permitted to transfer between temporary work permit categories so long as they meet the work permit conditions.   
  • Waiving the requirement for Sudanese nationals applying for permanent residence application to hold a passport or travel document.  
  • The government will also prioritize complete applications already in Canada’s system for temporary and permanent residence from residents in Sudan if travel conditions permit.   
  • Halting the removal of Sudanese nationals found not to hold valid permissions to stay in Canada.   
  • Waiving fees associated with temporary residence applications.  

For additional information on these measures, check here. 

What are the Changes?  

The government of Canada will assist Sudanese nationals impacted by the crisis in Sudan. According to the government, these measures include free open work permits that will provide access to the labor market and help keep Sudanese nationals and their family members safe.    

Looking Ahead    

Continue to check the government of Canada’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.  

Subscribe to Envoy's Global Blog Digest

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.