Canada: Additional Support Measures for Ukrainian Nationals  

Last Updated on July 18, 2023

Key Points 

  • Canada will introduce additional support measures for Ukrainian nationals with family members located in Canada 


The government of Canada will introduce a new pathway for Ukrainian nationals and their family members seeking permanent residence status beginning 23 October 2023. Eligible applicants include Ukrainian spouses, common-law partners, parents, grandparents, siblings and children or grandchildren of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. 

Ukrainian nationals located outside of the country will be permitted to travel to the country under the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET) visa until 31 March 2024.

Ukrainian nationals who have not received CUAET authorization by 15 July 2023 will be permitted to apply for entry authorization under an alternative temporary resident visa to come to Canada under pre-existing immigration measures.   

Once in Canada, temporary residents will be eligible to apply for an extended stay of up to three years through study permits and open work permits, all of which will be prioritized. They will also have access to settlement services, such as language training and employment services.  

What are the Changes?  

The Canadian government will introduce additional support measures for Ukrainian nationals with family members located in Canada. According to the government announcement, these measures will help Ukrainian nationals in Canada.  

Looking Ahead  

The government of Canada is expected to release further information in October 2023.  

Continue to check the government of Canada’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information. 

Subscribe to Immigration News Alerts from Envoy

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.