- Canada published information on potential delays in the immigration process as a result of the labor strike that took place from 19 April 2023 to 3 May 2023
The government of Canada published information on potential delays in the immigration process as a result of the labor strike that took place from 19 April 2023 to 3 May 2023. This information includes the following government-issued advice and insight:
- Applicants unable to provide biometrics within 30 days due to the public service labor disruption are now being given 60 days to complete this step. Eligible individuals do not need to contact IRCC for an extension and do not require a new biometric instruction letter to make another appointment. Applicants should bring the original biometric instruction letter to the new appointment to show proof of payment.
- Citizenship events that were canceled due to the Government of Canada labor disruption are being rescheduled. New invitation letters will be sent out as soon as possible.
- Passport services have resumed; however, long wait times and delays are anticipated. Passport applications submitted before the labor strike are not required to be re-submitted. They can visit a passport office to acquire expedited passport processing on a need-by-need basis.
- The processing of immigration permissions is delayed due to the labor strike. This includes delays for applications currently being prioritized.
For additional information on delays that result from the labor strike, check here.
What are the Changes?
The Canadian government published information on potential delays in the immigration process due to the labor strike from 19 April 2023 to 3 May 2023.
Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.