Last Updated on February 23, 2023
- The Bulgarian government has increased minimum wages to BGN 650 per month in 2021
- The change apples to EU ICT permit holders, EU nationals, and Combined Permit holders
- EU Blue Card holders are not affected
- The new minimum wages apply to current, pending, and new applications as of January 2021
- Employees must be compensated at the market salary rate or collective bargaining rate
- Benefits and allowances cannot be included in minimum wage calculations
New minimum wages have been announced nationwide for 2021.
What are the Changes?
Across Bulgaria, minimum wage levels are now BGN 650 per month, which is a 6.6% increase from minimum wage levels in 2020.
Who is Affected?
The new minimum wage levels apply to EU Intra-Company Transferee Permit holders, EU nationals, and Combined Permit holders. The minimum wage increase does not affect EU Blue Card holders.
What Should Employers and Applicants Know?
The changes apply to current work permits, pending applications, and new applications.
Employers must compensate applicants at the market salary rate or the collective bargaining rate for the position, whichever is higher.
Benefits and allowances may not be included in minimum wage calculations.
The changes apply to all affected permit holders in 2021.
Content in this publication is not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an Envoy-affiliated attorney or another qualified professional.