Brazil Moves Migratory Regulation Deadline to September 16, 2021

Last Updated on February 23, 2023

Key Points

  • The Brazilian government has extended immigration status regularization deadlines until September 16, 2021
  • No overstay penalty fines will be issued until this date
  • This change is in response to continued uncertainty with the COVID-19 pandemic and will take effect on March 15, 2021


Beginning March 15, 2021, any migratory documents that expired after March 16, 2020 will be valid until September 16, 2021 within Brazilian borders.

  • Foreign national migratory documents will remain valid so long as:
    • Foreign nationals have lived within Brazilian borders; and
    • Foreign nationals demonstrate intent to update status documents.
    • This exception does not apply for foreign nationals who have traveled abroad (outside Brazilian borders) for a sum total of 30 days or more.
  • RNM (Registro Nacional Migratório) cards and any other documents from the Federal Police that expired on or after March 16, 2020 will remain valid until September 16, 2021 for entry, change of status from temporary to permanent residence, or other status registration.
  • If a foreign national cannot leave Brazil due to third-country restrictions, they may request an extension of their departure date (even if an extension exceeds normal stay limits).
  • SINPA (the National Passport System) will not automatically cancel passports up for withdrawal between March 2021 and September 16, 2021.

What are the Changes?

Last year, the Brazilian government extended migratory document regularization deadlines to March 16, 2021. Now, they have been extended to September 16, 2021.

Looking Ahead

Brazil continues to monitor travel restrictions and safety changes with COVID-19. Foreign nationals and global talent managers can expect similar migratory policy shifts as vaccinations become available.

Content in this publication is not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an Envoy-affiliated attorney or another qualified professional.