Last Updated on February 23, 2023
- UK national business visitors can now perform more activities through the EU-UK Free Trade Agreement
- UK business visitors can now perform scientific, technical, and statistical research, attend training and trade fairs, and conduct other activities without a work permit
- Business visitors from the UK do not need a work permit for most business activities with a 90-day stay
- UK business visitors are still limited to a 90-day stay in a 180-day period
- Limitations on business activities still apply for non-EU national business visitors
- Employers must still provide posted worker notifications for UK national business visitors
UK national business visitors in Belgium are now permitted to perform more activities based on permissions granted through the EU-UK Free Trade Agreement.
What are the Changes?
The EU-UK Free Trade Agreement permits a broader range of activities than are typically allowed for business visitors, including scientific, technical, and statistical research. UK nationals can also attend trade fairs, receive training in work practices and techniques, and conduct other activities with business visitor status.
What Should Employers and Applicants Know?
UK business visitors do not require a work permit for many activities. Belgium now permits UK national business visitors to conduct business activities based on the EU-UK Free Trade Agreement, which allows more activities than are typically permitted for business visitors in 90 days out of a 180-day period.
Non-EU national business visitors are still restricted to certain activities as business visitors in Belgium. A work permit is required for individuals engaging in commercial transactions, tourism, and supplying services, along with scientific, technical, and statistical researchers conducting independent research, and analysis or research conducted by analysts and market researchers. Work permits are also required for non-EU national business visitors in Belgium on a business trip for establishment purposes.
Employers should note that UK national business visitors are still limited to a stay in Belgium of 90 days in a 180-day period. Additionally, employers must provide posted worker notifications for UK national business visitors.
UK national business visitors will benefit from the clarification, as they can perform more business activities in Belgium without needing a work permit.
Content in this publication is not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an Envoy-affiliated attorney or another qualified professional.