Canada: End of At-Border Post-Graduation Work Permit

Key Points  

  • Canada will no longer permit foreign nationals to apply for post-graduation work permits at the country’s border  


The government of Canada announced that foreign nationals will no longer be able to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) at the border, effective immediately. According to the government, these measures will reduce “flag poling,” which occurs when temporary residents of Canada bypass normal wait times when applying for a work or study permit online.  

At the same time, the government will continue to improve processing times and move toward a more integrated, modernized, and centralized working environment to help speed up application processing globally. 

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the government of Canada’s website and Envoy Global’s website for the latest updates and information.  

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at Corporate Immigration Partners, P.C., or another qualified professional of your choosing. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult your Envoy representative, or another qualified representative of your choosing.