- UK nationals must file an application for a new residence permit by December 31, 2021
- UK nationals who were legal Bulgarian residents before December 31, 2020 can verify their residency using an existing EU Residence Certificate
- Individuals who have lived in Bulgaria for five years may apply for permanent resident status
- UK nationals with permanent residency certificates must renew them by December 31, 2021
- Separate fees apply for regular and expedited application processing
- No provisions have been announced for cross-border workers
The Bulgarian government has issued additional details for UK nationals residing in the country after December 31, 2020.
What are the Changes?
All UK nationals must file a new application for residency by December 31, 2021 or by the date that their current EU Residence Certificate expires, whichever comes first.
UK nationals who were legal residents of Bulgaria before the Brexit transition can use their current EU Residence Certificate or a family member residence permit to verify their status as legal residents until they receive their new permit.
UK nationals who have resided in Bulgaria for more than five years can apply for a permanent residence certificate in 2021 or renew their existing permanent resident certificate no less than three days before its expiration date or by December 31, 2021, whichever is sooner.
What Should Employers and Applicants Know?
The fee for a new residence permit is BGN 18 for a standard 30-day processing time. Individuals may pay a higher fee of BGN 36 for an expedited processing time of three days.
No provisions have been issued for cross-border workers.
Content in this publication is not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an Envoy-affiliated attorney or another qualified professional.