Visitor visas are one of the most popular forms of legal travel authorization. The difference between B-1 and B-2 visas is important when determining which you should apply for.
It all comes down to what you plan on doing while you’re in the United States.
The B-1 Business Visitor Visa
If you’re coming to the United States to perform any kind of business-related activities, the B-1 visa is the right choice.
Some of the most common business activities include:
- Negotiating or signing contracts
- Purchasing business supplies
- Attending a business meeting, exhibit or convention
- Settling an estate
- Taking an exam held in the United States
- Performing professional services
- Competing in a non-professional sporting event
- Conducting independent research
The B-2 Tourist Visitor Visa
If you’re coming to the United States for personal activities, apply for the B-2 visitor visa.
This may include coming to the United States to:
- Visit family or friends
- Go to a wedding, reunion or ceremony
- Get medical treatment
- Visit tourist attractions
- Take a short recreational class (like a two-day cooking class)
Now that you know what visa is right for your trip, simply apply. Need help?