Sweden: Residence Permit for Highly Qualified Persons

June 29, 2022 Jessie Butchley

Key Points 

  • Sweden launched a new residence permit for highly qualified individuals who seek to work or start a business in the country 


The government of Sweden launched a residence permit for highly qualified persons seeking to work or start a business in Sweden. The permit can be granted for a minimum period of three months to a maximum period of nine months. Dependent family members will not be permitted to travel with the residence permit holder to Sweden. Qualified applicants will be required to provide proof of the following: 

  • Have completed studies corresponding to an advanced level degree; 
  • Plan to seek employment or explore the possibility of starting a business in Sweden; 
  • Can financially support themselves while applying for the period and throughout their stay in Sweden; 
  • Hold comprehensive health insurance that is valid in Sweden; 
  • Hold a passport that is valid for the duration of stay in Sweden; 
  • Reside outside of Sweden when the application is submitted.  

Applicants must hold a 60-credit master's degree; a 120-credit master's degree; a professional degree worth 60-330 credits; or a postgraduate/PhD level degree.  

Within the application, applicants must enclose a letter of consent granting the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR) the right to contact the higher institutions in the applicant's home country to verify the education documents.  

For additional information on application document requirements, click here.  

What are the Changes?  

The government of Sweden released information for a residence permit for highly qualified persons who seek to work or establish a business in Sweden. Eligible applicants must hold an approved advanced degree and meet other requirements.  

Looking Ahead  

Continue to check the government of Sweden’s website and Envoy’s website for the latest updates and information.  

For more news and insights from around the world, please sign up for Envoy’s Global Blog Digest, emailed to you every Wednesday morning. 

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.

About the Author

Jessie is Envoy's Global Immigration Writer.

More Content by Jessie Butchley
Previous Article
UAE: Citizens Granted Visa-Free Travel to the UK in 2023
UAE: Citizens Granted Visa-Free Travel to the UK in 2023

The United Arab Emirates announced that its citizens will be permitted access to visa-free travel to the Un...

Next Article
South Korea: Visa-Free Travel Resumed for Residents of Hong Kong
South Korea: Visa-Free Travel Resumed for Residents of Hong Kong

Residents of Hong Kong and British National Overseas passport holders will be permitted to apply for Korean...