Select H-4 Dependent Spouses Now Eligible for Work Authorization

May 26, 2015 Patty Johnson-Vazquez

Calling all H-1B and H-4 holders! The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services recently announced that select H-4 dependents are now eligible to apply for work authorization. Beginning May 26, some H-4 holders can start filing their applications and be on their way to obtaining employment authorization.

Who Qualifies?
H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B nonimmigrants can file for this special work authorization if the H-1B holder has an approved I-140 Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker or has pending PERM/labor certification application that has been pending for at least 365 days and has extended the H-1B status past the six-year limit. If you want more information, check out our Extended Employment Eligibility for Some H-4 Dependent Spouses infographic.

H-4 work authorization application tips
Once you determine your eligibility, you’re ready to begin the application process. To help you start, here are three work authorization application tips:

  1. Start early: May 26 is just around the corner, and if you want to beat the rush of other H-4 holders applying for work authorization, it’s best to get started now.
  2. Move quickly: We understand that getting the opportunity to bring in a second income is life-changing. Gather your supporting documents quickly, so you can apply on May 26, and get your employment authorization document (EAD) in the mail as soon as possible.
  3. Save for filing fees: USCIS’s fee for work authorization is $380. They won’t process your application until that’s paid, so be prepared.

Next Steps
If you’re ready to prepare your H-4 work authorization application, get started here.

The post Select H-4 Dependent Spouses Now Eligible for Work Authorization appeared first on Envoy.

Previous Article
USCIS Revises Filing Requirements for H-1B Holder Worksite Changes

Recently, USCIS changed the required filing process for when an H-1B employee changes work locations outsid...

Next Article
Employment-Based Green Cards: 3 Tips to Help You Master the PERM Process

Sponsoring a foreign national for an employment-based green card is a great way to retain skilled talent. H...


Subscribe to Our Blog to Stay Informed on the Latest Immigration Policies.

Thank you for subscribing!
Error - something went wrong!