Indonesia: New Requirements for Employers of Short-Term Foreign National Employees

August 22, 2022 Jessie Butchley

Key Points 

  • The government of Indonesia will require employers to obtain health insurance for short-term foreign national employees  


The government of Indonesia introduced additional requirements for employers hiring foreign nationals for short-term work purposes. Under these new requirements, employers will be required to provide health insurance to foreign national workers employed for a period of six months or less. The insurance must be applied for through the Financial Service Authority of Indonesia. The coverage by employment period is as follows: 

  • IDR 762,000 for one month (approximately USD 51.06); 
  • IDR 1,715,000 for three months (approximately USD 114.97); 
  • IDR 2,477,000 for six months (approximately USD 166.05).  

Employers will need to register their company on the Insurance for Foreign Worker (ASTAKA) website, purchase an insurance policy for all short-term foreign national employees, and activate the insurance policy on behalf of the employee. 

For additional information on registration and requirements, check here.  

What are the Changes? 

The government of Indonesia introduced new health insurance policy requirements for Indonesian employers of foreign national employees hired for short-term work purposes and assignments. The cost of the policy will vary depending on the duration of the work assignment. 

Looking Ahead  

The government of Indonesia is expected to release an official date for when these requirements will become effective. Continue to check the government of Indonesia’s website and Envoy’s website for additional information and updates.  

For more news and insights from around the world, please sign up for Envoy’s Global Blog Digest, emailed to you every Wednesday morning. 

Content in this publication is for informational purposes only and not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult an attorney at one of the two U.S. Law Firms working with the Envoy Platform or another qualified professional. On non-U.S. immigration issues, consult an Envoy global immigration service provider or another qualified representative.

About the Author

Jessie is Envoy's Global Immigration Writer.

More Content by Jessie Butchley
Previous Article
United Kingdom: Launch of the New Scale-Up Visa Route
United Kingdom: Launch of the New Scale-Up Visa Route

The United Kingdom (UK) introduced the Scale-up Visa on 22 August 2022. The visa will be available to forei...

Next Article
Japan: Short-Term Stay Visa for Canadian and U.S. Nationals
Japan: Short-Term Stay Visa for Canadian and U.S. Nationals

The government of Japan will open online short-term stay visa services to Canadian and United States (U.S.)...