Hi, I’m Jamie and I have been going to SHRM for (almost) 10 years.
My first SHRM was in 2007 in Las Vegas… and what a first it was. Barenaked Ladies (the band, just to clarify) at the Hard Rock Vegas pool with CareerBuilder. A massive exhibit hall with huge booth structures and a sea of company branded polos, khaki pants, stress balls and plastic pens. It was 2007 — a high-growth economy with an unemployment rate less than 4 percent. The hot topics were baby boomers retiring, recruiting younger generations, retaining your best people and, of course, getting a seat at the table.
Nothing has quite topped that first year but I have had some pretty cool experiences over the years — Maroon 5 at Chicago’s Lincoln Park Zoo, VIP treatment at the Orlando Hard Rock and speakers like Condoleezza Rice, Daniel Pink, Sir Richard Branson and Michael J. Fox.
Now, the booths are bigger and techier — and the swag is more creative. The speakers are more strategic, thoughtful and thought provoking. The topics are similar but have evolved and diversified — now they are about baby boomers retiring, recruiting and retaining millennials, succession planning, and getting a seat at the table, owning the table, and then turning the table upside down. We are talking a lot more about skills gaps, global mobility, growth and development, and work-life balance.
Although I will be hanging out at our booth for much of the time, I am looking forward to catching a few sessions. Many address the proverbial seat at the table — laddering up the function of HR and the true impact an effective people strategy can have on an organization. Some are relevant to my company — a high-growth stage tech company going through a ton of change. And then some just look like they would be entertaining. Here are a few of my choices:
10:45am – 12:00pm
- Rethinking HR: The Future of Work; Ryan Estis
- Pursuing Purpose in Building Your Brand; Matt Kaiser
2:00pm – 3:15pm
- Creating a Culture of High Trust: 10 Things Every Organization Must Do to Experience High Trust; Richard Fagerlin
7:00am – 8:15am
- So You Think You Know Global Mobility: Shockers and Surprises and Traps for the Unwary; David W. Ellis and Kerry Weinger
10:45am – 12:00pm
- Technology meets HR: Selecting and Justifying the Right Solution; Joe Rotella
- The Real World: Case Studies of Real Organizations Who Solved Their Workplace Bullying Problems; Catherine Mattice
2:15pm – 3:30pm
- HR on Purpose! Five Ways to Own, Lead and Integrate HR Throughout Your Organization; Steve Browne
4:00pm – 5:15pm
- Make Change Work: Leading Change in a World of Constant Change; Randy G. Pennington
10:00am – 11:15am
- How to Deliver Bad News and Build Trust at the Same Time; Andrea P. Howe and Gary S. Jones
Looking forward to connecting with old friends, meeting new ones and learning a thing or two. More updates to come!
P.S. Make sure you stop by our booth #637! We will be discussing important topics like international workforce management, global mobility and leveraging immigration in your talent management strategy. We’re even giving a sneak peek of our fall software release — the largest one to date! And we’ll also be having fun with hula hoops, trips around the world and selfie contests.